Thursday, April 2, 2009

Birthday Quilts

This year for Jacob's 4th birthday and Abby's 2nd birthday, I decided to make quilts for them. I made my first quilt ever for myself in 2008. It turned out so well that I wanted to try my hand at making quilts for my grandchildren. The incentive that I had for these quilts was that I was given a bag of quilt squares already cut out into 6 1/2 inch squares. These squares were cut over 30 years ago by my cousin Barbara, and she never got around to using them for anything. However, her Mom saved them in a bag for "someday". Last spring Barbara died from liver cancer and is now in heaven with our Lord. It was about this time that I was making my first quilt, and I took it over to show Jackie, (Barbara's Mom). Light bulbs went off in her head and she ran into the bedroom and came out with a bag of lovely quilt squares that were Barbara's and said I could have them. What a gift! Well, I had to use them to honor my sweet cousin's memory. With the help of my dear friend, Karen (a quilting expert), we figured out how to make a quilt for Jacob. I had to add some fabric that I purchased to make it more appropriate for a little boy, since Barbara's fabric was so "girlie". Both quilts are hand tied and that is a process that really hurts my back....bending over the floor. But it was worth it since both quilts turned out so nice and I am pleased.


This is a close up of Abby's quilt. I used all Barbara's fabric for the front of this quilt because it was such pretty, feminine material, and so appropriate for a little girl. It is done in a nine square pattern, with a strip of tiny pink rose material between the rows. It is quite large (98" X 64"), and will be perfect as a bedspread when she gets into a "big girl" bed. She will be 2 on May 1.


For the back of Abby quilt I had to purchase a large piece of fabric. Since it was too narrow to reach the sides, I used more of the squares from Barbara's fabric to add width to the quilt by adding two more rows of squares.


I wanted to hold up the quilts so that you could get a perspective on actual size. Abby's quilt turned out to be the same width as Jacob's, however it is about 20" longer. That is why it will be perfect for a bedspread.


Here is Jacob's finished quilt. It is made with the yellow, green, and orange squares from Barbara's fabric. I added blue gingham, and a pattern with little cars and trucks on it. And a town print as well. The back is car print and town print in four large blocks.


So my next quilt will be for our sweet Baby Elsa. Not sure if I will make it in time for her birthday on May 5. But since she will only be 1 year old, she won't know the difference. I will be using some of the remaining squares for her quilt as well.
That is all for now. Enjoy the photos of my newest hobby.



1 comment:

Michelle said...

Well done! I am very impressed!