Saturday, September 27, 2008

Autumn's Seasonal Bounty




Thursday at the Farmer's Market I picked up some winter squash. One variety was called Golden Nugget and the other was a Sweet Meat. And yesterday I saw an older farmer with his truck in our little town of Amity. He sells produce out of the back of his truck. He had an ENORMOUS Hubbard Squash, and he was selling it for only $5. It was over 20 lbs. And it was 38" around the middle. Pretty cheap. Anyway, I cut the squash up and bake it in the oven at 350' for about 2 hours. ( I had to take Bob's hacksaw to the Hubbard, it was so tough and so big!) Then I let it sit for about half an hour so that the squash pulls away from the rind. Then I scoop the meat out and put it in a bowl and mash it with a potato masher. After it is all mashed, it goes into containers for the freezer. We have 12 pints of frozen squash now. I had a small sample of each left over, which we had for dinner. Our favorites were the Hubbard, and the Sweet Meat. The Golden Nugget tasted a lot like an Acorn Squash. Bob eats his with butter and salt and pepper. I like mine with butter and brown sugar. Delicious!!!



The other benefit of the Autumn Season are the apples in abundance. We have a Gravenstein Apple tree and a Golden Delicious tree. The Gravenstein did not get worms this year and since we love them the very best, that was very good news. Yesterday I spent about 4 hours outside cleaning up the ground under the Gravenstein Apple tree. There were so many good apples that had fallen. I put them into a big tub and it was heaping. The bad apples were tossed into the orchard for the birds, deer, racoons, and squirrels. This morning I made two batches of applesauce from the apples under the tree. Bob came home from Spokane and he also cut up enough apples for two batches of applesauce. We got 19 pints of delicious applesauce in the freezer. We just quarter, core, and peel the apples. Then let them bake slowly at 300' for about 2 hours. Then mash with a potato masher, pour into containers, and freeze.



I took some photos of the apple tree before and after the cleanup. And also the huge tub of apples, and the gigantic Hubbard Squash. I put a can of soda in front of the tub so you could get a perspective of exactly how many apples there were. What a project!!! But I am so happy that we can experience the bounty of this, my favorite season - Autumn!

No comments: